Tuesday, October 30, 2018

To Hate The Term 'Full-Time Mum'


Right, whilst the little man is down for a nap I'm going to get something off my chest and have a bit of a rant. A rant about the labels attached to mums depending on their working status.

I see it all the time, and I'm sure you all do too - women on facebook with the words 'full-time mum' or, much worse, 'full-time yummy mummy' written as their job description.

*Siiiigggghhh*

Now before I go on, I need to make it clear that I've got nothing against mums who don't work, for whatever reason. There are many factors that influence whether a mum goes to work or not; it's a very personal decision, one that doesn't need judgement from others, so there's that.

What I do have an issue with is the terminology 'full-time mum', as it insinuates that those of us with jobs clock off as mum as soon as we mosey off to work. That we are only deemed worthy of the mum title when actually with our kids.

I never stop being Albie's mum.

No matter where I am; whether I'm tapping away at a keyboard in my office or standing directly over him changing his pooey nappy as he tries to kick me in the face. He is always at the forefront of my mind. He is always my responsibility. He is always my beautiful son whom I would shift the earth for.

And yes, I occasionally feel guilty that I can't be with him when I'm working, but I know that ultimately, having a job is part of what makes me a responsible parent. My income is needed to help pay for the food, bills and all of the other things things that are integral to Albie's welfare.

I am a mum 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, along with every other mum, working or otherwise - although, let's be honest, isn't every mum a working mum in some respect?

Why does there need to be a label attached? Why can't we all just be mums? After all, I am not labelled a part time wife, daughter or friend. What's the difference?

Until next time,

Albie's 'just' mum


1 comment :

  1. Hi Albie's Mum - how did you find the experience of going back to work after having Albie? When did you go back? I'm facing this now and, for a number of reasons, I'm really anxious about it.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top